6 surprising ways you are wasting water and how your local plumber can help
Have you ever wondered how much water you are using in the home? It is easy to forget about this and not think about how much water you spend every month. One of the best ways to save on water is to make sure that you are not wasting it. There are many ways in which the average family could be wasting gallons of water without knowing it, and this will leave you with increased water bills. This article will look at six surprising ways that you could be wasting water around the home.
How you might be wasting water without even knowing about it
There are a surprising number of ways you could be wasting water without being aware of it:
- Leaky pipes – often water leaks can be hidden, and you may not find out until the results are catastrophic
- Older style toilets and inefficient flushes – many homes are built with ineffective and straightforward flushes, resulting in you using much more water when pulling the chain.
- Running your machines half full – unless your washing machine or dishwasher is programmable to a half wash cycle, your machine will use the same amount of water for both a full and half wash.
- Dripping taps – many of us have heard the sound of a dripping faucet late at night, but did you know that this could be the cause of your incredibly high water bill each month?
- Leaving the taps running when brushing your teeth – a simple way to waste water and increase your bills is to keep the faucet running whilst brushing your teeth or washing your face. Turning off the tap can save huge amounts of water without you even realising it.
- Taking long showers – we all like a long, hot shower at the end of a hard days work, but staying in the shower for too long can waste your water, and if you only have a limited hot water supply, it will soon run out!
Ways you can improve your water wastage with some easy changes
Whilst the above may seem as though water waste is something we have to learn to live with, there are many minor things you can do around your home to improve your water usage and give you peace of mind that your bills will reduce to a more manageable amount each month.
Why not consider using a timer whilst you are in the shower? Not only can this be a surprisingly easy way of saving money, but if you have a young family, beating the timer and still managing to wash appropriately can often be turned into a fun game!
Ensure you correctly utilise your kitchen appliances by filling the dishwasher and washing machine to their optimal level before starting the machine. This can be particularly helpful if you don’t have a half load setting on your washing machine or dishwasher.
Remembering to turn the taps off when cleaning your teeth or washing your face is probably the most straightforward way of saving your household water, often saving your litres of water at a time!
Some of the above issues may have to be resolved with the support of a local and experienced plumber. For leaky pipes, dripping taps and inefficient toilets, having the assistance and advice from a team of plumbers, like those at Three Counties Plumbing and Heating, will ensure your water usage is reduced, and your water issues are a thing of the past.
You may also be interested in
Involve your local plumber to get serious with water-saving
There are only some things we can do ourselves as homeowners; however, making use of local plumbers services and specialist plumbing teams will continue to improve your water use at home and ultimately save you money in the long run.
Employ the services of a local plumber to assist with all aspects of plumbing repairs, such as fixing the leaky pipe that is creating a dark stain on your floor or ceiling. Your plumber will be able to identify any leaks within your home (even the hidden ones) and advise of the best course of action to take to fix the problem.
Your plumber will be able to advise you as to whether your toilet could be wasting your money and whether its an inefficient flush that needs updating or an efficient toilet that needs plumbing in; your local plumber will be able to carry out these works, saving your gallons of water in the future.
Why not talk to your plumber about flow restrictor tap inserts to reduce the amount of tap water running when cleaning your teeth or running water at the kitchen sink? With a wide range of inserts available, your plumber can advise on the most appropriate flow restrictor for each tap, leaving you with running water and a cost reduction.
Three Counties Plumbing and Heating can help with your water saving goals
With over 21 years of experience as plumbing and heating engineers, there is no shortage of professional plumbers at Three Counties Plumbing and Heating. Our experienced plumbers can support you with all the plumbing services you could need at home and in the office, from leak detection and burst pipes to bathroom installations and boiler repairs.
For expert plumbers with honest advice, get in contact with Three Counties Plumbing and Heating to see how they can help with your plumbing issues to make your home more efficient, saving you time and money in the future.
Got an emergency?
We offer a responsive 24/7 Call Out Service